Saturday 23 June 2012

Coffee

I'm a bit worried to say this because I know how passionate people get about this issue. But I think it's time to finally say it. I don't want my readers labouring under any illusions about me.

So let me just say it.

I don't like coffee.

In fact, I think it tastes quite horrible.

I've tried. I've really tried. I've worked with coffee for ages now. Sometimes I make a drink wrong by accident. So I think to myself, rather than waste the cappuccino, I'll drink it. And I always regret it. It's just not tasty. Sorry, coffee lovers. I just don't get the coffee thing. It's not tasty.

I used to go to a nice restaurant in central London sometimes, before an evening class I was taking and I would order a black coffee. I loved sitting in the window watching life go by and drinking my black coffee. Like a real grown up. I was not enjoying my black coffee at all. I'm useless with super hot drinks anyway, so it took me forever to take my first sip. Then I'd add sugar so I couldn't taste the coffee so much. So the entire exercise was essentially pointless, the only real point being to make me feel a bit sophisticated and, really, who was I kidding.

If I'm in work and I have a coffee, I go a bit mental. I talk very fast and run around trying to do everything all at once. It's not good

Recently, I decided to get into coffee drinking again. But my order ended up being so complicated that I could feel how annoying I was when I was asking for my drink. Because I don't like coffee, I thought I'd try decaf. I also thought that if I'm going to drink coffees often, I should at least limit the damage and get it with skimmed milk which, incidentally, steams much better than semi or full fat, it goes really smooth and silky. So I'm decaf and skimmed, awkward central. Then I've noticed that when I get latte or cappuccino most places, the foam on the top is really dry and I don't like that. I like it when it's creamy and got really fine bubbles. So I get a flat white.

A decaf skinny flat white.

Ridiculous.

I stopped ordering it after a little while because I could hear how stupid it was.

So that has been my interaction with coffee. I make it. I do NOT drink it. I wish I was more grown up and loved it. But I don't. I just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment