Monday 9 July 2012

Dancing in public

Just a brief note about this important subject.

Dancing in public eg, going to a club.

Now if you've had a drink or two, this is no real problem. You're loosened up, you've got your groove on, you seem to be able to know what the music is going to do next and follow it. All is well. People who are watching admire your sense of fun and adventure, you're unafraid and actually quite a good dancer. You're loving the music, the people are watching you, you're loving being watched, your favourite song just came on ... There is lots of mutual dancing appreciation going on.

The difficulties come when you're not a drinker.

I'm not a drinker.

There is less temptation to act with such reckless abandon. You keep yawning a little, you fall back on the trusty two-step, you don't quite know what to do with your arms. It makes for a lot of gentle knee-bobbing and unrhythmic arm-swinging.

Dancing is also different when you know the song that's being played. You liven up a little with excitement and the dancing becomes more energetic. The arms get involved. Then the song finishes while you're still on your high but is followed by one that everyone else but you knows. They're singing along, throwing their hands in the air in unison, yelling "Get ready for the next bit!" and you've no idea what to do.

Your moment has passed, you fade to the edge of the crowd and start knee-bobbing and arm swinging again.

I used to tear up the dancefloor when I was younger and as I knee-bob, I wonder if I've really become so boring in my 'old age'? And then I remember the point I made at the beginning, alcohol was always involved. I was 17, loud and highly intoxicated. I stop doubting myself whilst I two-step and just enjoy my solitary tame little dance over here in the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment