Sunday 1 July 2012

Reflections on my week of swimming

I have noticed some things, both external and internal, about myself since I started swimming.

My body has had a reaction to the regular wetting and drying by giving me dry skin. I have reacted by always having on me moisturisers and nice face and body washes.

My shoulders, which were quite achy after introducing back stroke, have adapted quite well and no longer feel like they are going to drop off whenever I leave the pool. I am a bit worried about getting muscly shoulders and arms, though. We all saw what happened to Madonna's arms when she became a yoga freak and I just don't feel that it's a good look.

Now, it's nice to be presentable but most women, like me, will probably let their legs go a bit hairier than is socially acceptable before shaving unless there's a chance they'll be getting them out for some reason, to wear a dress, for example. Because I have been going swimming every day, there is no rest period for the legs, they must be presentable all the time. For someone who's quite lazy, it's a bit of a shock to the system.

My hair isn't so sure about the whole getting-wet-every-day thing. I put a bit of conditioner on when I shower afterwards but because it's getting wet every day, I forget which days it needs it's proper wash on. It also has become more frizzy in general. I think I will get a swimming cap soon.

I've also noticed about myself, that I'm not very interactive when I exercise. When I used to cycle everywhere, I didn't watch the Tour de France with bated breath or ask other friends who cycle to come on a ride with me. And it's the same with swimming. I'm not that interested in chatting to my fellow swimmers in the shower about the heating in the outdoor pool or how great my session was. Nor will I be putting a Tom Daly (is that his name? The swimming boy?) poster on my wall. I just want to swim, thank you. Does this say something about me? That I'm more interested in myself than other people?

I also don't know what the big deal about wearing a swimming costume was. I didn't wear one for years because I was pretty horrified at the idea of being so undressed in public. But now I just throw it on and go.

I'm also very exact about how I do things. When I swim, I make sure I'm doing it properly, I watch other people who are doing it properly and copy them exactly. I'm constantly thinking about every bit of my body when I swim, my arms, where I'm looking, how I'm kicking my legs, how my body is sitting in the water. That's why I can't understand when other people don't swim properly. Back stroke is the most misused stroke I've seen so far. People just flinging their arms backward in any old fashion and making an almighty riot about it. Even when I go shopping, I'm very precise about how I walk around the shop, I don't just head to one place and grab stuff. I go up and down each aisle in the shop, starting at the veg section, missing out the freezer section, and finishing at the cleaning products. When I'm in work it's the same, everything has a certain place and my equilibrium is all off if things are out of place.

Is there a secret child with OCD hiding inside me? I'm doubting my sanity after admitting how I shop.

So anyway, that's what my week of swimming has done for me. It's been great actually. I feel a lot fitter. And my bingo wings are a little less flab and a little more firm. I'm going to keep it up, I think. Not every day but maybe every other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment