Sunday 7 October 2012

Songs that remind me of stuff 2

Be Prepared from the Lion King soundtrack
My friend, Fiona, and I were travelling around Namibia in an old battered truck which was pretty low on gadgets. It didn't have air con, a radio or even a tape deck. We'd get to our destination and peel ourselves off the seat, sweaty and disgusting and hope no-one noticed as we shuffled into the reception of wherever we'd stopped over. Due to the lack of music, we spent hours singing to each other. We returned to the Lion King soundtrack again and again. Be Prepared was a firm favourite and got an airing at least five times every day.

I Just Can't Wait To Be King from the Lion King soundtrack
Lion King soundtrack again but a different situation. I'm in the last year of school and I've got a theatre studies class. We're all sitting waiting for the teacher and somehow... A frenzy takes hold of us. A few girls start singing I Just Can't Wait To Be King. A few more join in. Soon we're all singing. Then we're bordering on shouting. We've started bashing on the tasked and our chairs in time to the tune. "O, I JUST CAAAAN'T WAIT!......"

The door opens. Our teacher is standing there. We stop, mid-desk-whack, and wonder if there's any chance at all in the entire world, that she didn't hear us.... "What on earth is going on? I could hear you all the way down the corridor!"

We had nothing to offer in our defence. We looked into our laps, 18 year old girls having been caught acting like 8 year olds. The lesson got underway but we were all pretty red faced for the entire time.

I popped in to see this teacher a few years ago when I was in Liverpool and we laughed about this day. I still felt kind of embarrassed though.

Jenny From The Block by Jennifer Lopez
Another secondary school story. I had a friend called Cilla who used to 'perform' this song every breaktime. She had slightly adjusted the words though. It was hilarious. J.Lo's version goes:
"I used to have a little, now I have a lot.
No matter where I go, I know where I came from.
Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got.
I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block."

Cilla's version went:
"Used to have a little, now I still have a little.
No matter where I go, I'm still where I came from.
Don't be fooled by the rocks I haven't got.
I'm still. I'm still Cilla from the block."

Mr Cellophane from the Chicago soundtrack
This reminds me of walking through a park in London, I think Hyde Park, but I didn't know London at the time so I'm not sure. I had met all the people who were going with the same gap year organisation as me and we were all leaving for our adventures in about a month. We met in London for some fun before leaving and two of my favourite friends and I were walking together and singing this song. I hasn't seen Chicago so I didn't know it but I just kind of mumbled along with them while they sang. I thought they were best people I had ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment