Saturday 9 June 2012

Murder at the Academy Awards! And Donald Duck...

Yesterday's Getting Excited About Stuff was relatively straight forward = It's Joan Rivers' birthday. Get hold of a book by/about Joan Rivers and read it.

Well, there wasn't one at the library and I thought about walking along to the book shop but I was a bit knackered after my long swim (my legs and arms ache a bit today, I kind of entered a trance and just kept going then realised I'd been in there for absolutely ages!). So I headed home and looked around on Kindle on my phone and found a book by Joan Rivers called Murder at the Academy Awards! (There was also one called Men Are Stupid... And They Like Big Boobs but I thought Murder at the Academy Awards looked better.) Can you imagine anything better than a few hours with your head in a potentially-trashy probably-rubbish book called Murder at the Academy Awards?! After the onslaught of Serious Facts and Textbooks that became my life recently, I have been revelling in the more frivolous side of life. I got stuck in.

It's told from the point of view of a reporter on the red carpet trying to snatch interviews with A-listers arriving at the Oscars. It's actually told quite well. I was surprised to read on Wikipedia that Joan has a degree in English Literature so what I was expecting - a loud-mouthed Hello! magazine but longer and with more insults - was not what I got. Of course it's brash, of course the insults fly (Cameron Diaz is given the what-for for wearing a dress that 'not even Winona Ryder would shoplift') but it's done quite well. Don't get confused here, I'm not telling you all to run out and buy it because it is a work of literary genius. But it's a fun read for an afternoon off work.

I'm only half way through so the mystery of how the star of the show dies, a young actress who spends her time in and out of rehab, is yet to be solved. The hilarity of the situation that the main character is now in is entertaining reading. She's having herself admitted to a rehab clinic with a pretend addiction, so that she can dig around and find out some gossip about how the starlet may have died. And she just lost her dog when taking it to the vet. And her bodyguard loves pantsuits. And she loves plastic surgery. It's all going on in Murder at the Academy Awards!

And so to today. 9th June. Would you believe it? In 1934, on 9th June, Donald Duck made his debut in The Wise Little Hen! So today, I shall spend some time getting excited about Donald Duck. I've read up on him. I know all about him and his rivalry with Mickey Mouse. He gets over it eventually and they are the best of friends. I know all about his career in films and his educational programmes for children. I know that he struggles with his temper. I even know what his sayings are. "What's the big idea?" is his most used. I also know about his health issues, he's quite lazy and all his friends think he needs to get some exercise. But one time he knocked a shark out with one punch so he's still pretty strong, even if he is lazy....

I hope you enjoyed that little fact-onslaught about Donald Duck. I feel we would all benefit a little from knowing more about Donald.

So today I am going to dress as a sailor. Well, not really. I'm just going to wear white trousers and a blue jumper. And say "What's the big idea?" to people. And maybe I'll watch The Wise Little Hen if I can find it on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment