Friday 11 May 2012

Cake talk


Today, I have a day off work, so my brain has gone into meltdown. I'm not very good with time off. So I make jobs for myself. I have made a cake this morning already. I have also done a bit of Land Law revision. It's mortgages today. Not the most fascinating thing I can think of. With the brain in meltdown, I'm not very good at thinking what to blog about. So I'm just going to blog what's on my mind.

The biggest thing is planning a wedding cake. Not for me, I might add! Someone else is getting married and I'm doing their cake. (Me? Getting married? What a hilarious thought!) I had trouble falling asleep last night because I was planning it in such detail. I love a foodie project. Yesterday I went into the cake supplies shop and was just out of control. It's like someone had unleashed the mad woman that I usually keep under wraps and told her to get one of everything! It's not like I went in with a plan in mind and got things which fitted with my plan. Instead I looked in great detail at absolutely everything in the shop and thought about how I could possibly use it, picked it up and kept moving. Occasionally I placed things back when I'd re-made the plan after looking at the next item but my arms were still pretty full by the time I got to the till (maybe an hour after entering the shop).





When I was falling asleep last night I was running through, over and over again what I was going to do, whether I should put this here or that there. What type of cake should I do for the cake bit? I also took the momentous step of finally purchasing a piping bag, which is a thing I've always felt like I should have but was quite intimidated by, like muslin cloth. I now have both. I think I should practise piping things first because I can just see a big disaster happening on the actual cake.

Now I don't want to jinx things by talking about it too much and I hope Mr/Mrs Soon-To-Be-Married don't stop by this blog before the big day but here's the plan. Opinions please.

He owns a gallery and requested a cake in the shape of a picture frame. So I'm going to do a square/rectangle cake with gold frosting for the frame bit. Then inside the frame there'll just be white frosting and I got two little silver letters for their names.

Oo! I've just thought! Gold framing and silver letters?! It's not going to go together. Dammit. Should I go and get gold letters instead? Or will that be gold overload?

Anyway, two letters for names, whichever colour they end up being. Then I have edible red carnation petals that I thought I'd make a little flower out of for one corner and two small white icing hearts for the opposite corner. I've got two teeny tiny mini champagne flutes to put in the middle and thought I'd make some really small white chocolate truffles to either put on the board around the bottom of the cake or to put round the edge next to the flower, so it looks like part of the pattern on the frame.

It will probably change tomorrow, and the next day, so I'm going to start making little sketches or something so I remember each idea before I change it. Actually, here's the one for what my current idea is... (Obviously my artistic skills are somewhat lacking and the proportions will no doubt end up completely different.Those little blobs in the two corners are the mini white chocolate truffles.)





Anyway, that's the main thing on my mind this morning. Other thoughts are:

'I'd better try and finish revising mortgages today as the exams are really close..'

....and 'Omygoodness I ate a lot at the staff meal out last night, I should probably try to do a long walk or something to balance it out...'

...and 'I want to make the truffles for the cake today.'

No comments:

Post a Comment