Tuesday 1 May 2012

X is for...

X!

As on the end of a text message, eg "See you later x". This probably seems pretty straight forward, what's the problem, what's to write about? It's just a kiss on the end of a text message.

Well, this is where my over active brain kicks in. Should I do one here? I mean, the whole message only says "Ok" so does it really need one? But it's nice to do one. Alright, I'll do one there.

And should I do it at the end of every message? To everyone? Yes, just do it to everyone, because otherwise I'll be spending time thinking about who to put a kiss on a text message to. Just put it, as a friendly thing. If people know you, they'll know it's just a friendly thing. Ok. But what if I don't know them very well yet? Say it's someone at uni, who I just need to text about what time class starts tomorrow? Ok, it doesn't need one, because they might think you're being too friendly? A bit flirty maybe? But actually, we've become quite good friends now, we sit together a lot and help each other with tutorial preparation. So do I start putting a kiss on the text messages now, after a few weeks? But the sudden arrival of the kiss where there wasn't one before might arouse suspicion. Maybe they'll think you're developing a crush on them? So just don't do kisses, that's fine. But now I have to remember to do kisses for everyone else but not them. Imagine if I forgot and did it once but not the next time. That would look a bit weird.

And then there's the it's-probably-never-going-to-be-appropriate situations. Like in a professional capacity. I did this once, wrote a few text messages that didn't have kisses, it wasn't a friendship-type interaction so it was fine. But then they replied with an x on their text! So I panicked a little and wrote one on my next text, to be friendly back, but that bloody predictive text thing kicked in and I sent my reply with a "z" on the end! So they'd been nice and friendly and written an "x" and I'd replied with an unfriendly you're-soooo-boring-I'm-falling-asleep "z". I did it twice more, I'm blaming the nerves, before I just gave up altogether and went back to nothing at the end. I hope they don't think about their x as much as I do otherwise I've really offended them.

And these are the things I spend my time thinking about.... Is it any wonder I'm blogging instead of studying?!?!

Exams in just under four weeks, by the way. I must be pro-active! Today I will learn about theft! And I will be interested! And I will not panic! And it will make sense (ha!)! And I will remember it all!

2 comments:

  1. Haha this made me laugh, I have spent far too much of my time pondering whether to put kisses on texts! My biggest panic is when I haven't put a kiss (because I dont know them that well and think they might think its odd) and then they put one... I always worry that if I then dont put one in my reply I'll look majorly unfriendly, but if I do I'll look like I've been dying to put a kiss but have just been waiting for them to give me the go-ahead and now I am taking their kiss as some sort of signal... Yes, I think too much! Hannah Mc x (We've known each other since juniors so I think I can sign this with a kiss :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you wrote this! I don't feel so mental now. I had a problem today of writing a kiss on my text, the person didn't write one back. What do I do now? I stop doing a kiss on mine? Or does that look silly? I keep doing the kiss even though I'm not getting one back? What to do? x

    ReplyDelete