Thursday 10 May 2012

Why do I always say things twice? Why do I always say things twice?

I've got this thing about repeating myself. I haven't worked out why I do it. My biggest one is when I agree with someone, or answer in the positive.

Example:

Customer: "Can I pay with my card here?"
Me: "Yes! Yeh. That's fine."

Customer: "Do you have a toilet here?"
Me:Yes, yeh, we do."

Customer: "Do you sell chocolates?
Me: "Yes, yeh, they're just over there."

Why 'yes' AND 'yeh? Sometimes it's 'yes' and 'yep'. Or 'yeh' and 'yep'. I've tried to stop it but it's like alcoholism or something. I just can't stop. I can see the problem but I'm too addicted. It's something I have no control over. I just wait for the next person to ask me something so I can answer twice!

"Hi! I'm Laura and I answer twice!" I'd say at the Answering Twice Anonymous. Or ATA, as they'd be known.

Sometimes I do it when I think I've skipped over the point too quickly and maybe the person listening might have missed it.

Example:

Friend: "Are you nervous about your exams?"
Me: "Well, it's not that I'm nervous as such. I'm studying all the time and I feel ok about them. You know, so I wouldn't say it nerves. More just getting them over with. I've been studying a lot. I feel ok about them."

I could really save a lot of time by just saying things once. But as fellow members of the ATA will know, sometimes you just want to make extra sure the person is keeping up with what you're saying, by saying it twice. I know it doesn't actually work, but I sort of think it does when I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment