Monday 25 March 2013

Careers advice

When I was in my late teens and still at secondary school, there was a lot of talk about forward planning for a possible career. We had talks from people who gave us advice about this or that, there was a careers advisor on hand most days near the sixth form common room and we had various computer programme things that asked you questions and suggested possible careers that might match your likes or dislikes.

I didn't know for definite what I wanted to do. I had played with different careers in my mind - popstardom beckoned at one point, the literary life at another, not to mention my brush with TV presenting fame.

I hadn't settled on one for definite because my main thoughts, in my last year at school, were on the gap year I had planned. So I just kind of let these career talks go in one ear and out the other. I had my place at university sorted, I was off to study theatre and English literature when I got back from Africa, although I didn't really know what I could do with it as a career. I just liked them!

One day though, I must have been wondering what career the computer might suggest if I took the questionnaire. I secretly love stuff like that as it often comes up with something hilariously off-kilter. In a free moment between classes, I decided to take the careers questionnaire.

It took a long time. Long, long, long. And it went on and on and on about things that were so similar to one another that I thought that surely I must have answered it already.

"You enjoy working in a group."
Agree

"You enjoy working with other people."
Agree strongly

"You get on well with other people."
Agree

"You like to lead a group."
Neither agree or disagree

"You like to be in charge."
Agree slightly

"You are good at taking control."
Agree slightly

"You like to fix things."
Disagree slightly

"You like to take things apart and figure them out."
Disagree

"You work best alone."
Neither agree or disagree.

And so it went on. Click, click, click went the mouse, on varying degrees of agreeing or disagreeing with certain statements. Until finally, five billion questions later, I got a little egg timer on the screen while it came up with my results.

I waited in anticipation, thinking about all the things it might suggest for the career I was best matched to. Based on the questions I had been asked, I thought it might come up with things like 'Team leader on expedition of huge world importance similar to that of Shackleton," or "Queen's best friend," (is that a job title?) or "World famous travelling sensation."

Think, think, think, went the egg timer and then, finally, up popped my results!

I've long since forgotten what my number 1 most suitable career came up as because right there, sitting in the number 2 spot, was the word 'Embalmer.'

You're thinking, no, surely not? Is that what I think it is? Well yes, it is what you think it is. The person who embalms dead bodies and gets them ready for burial.

At number 2! That high up! Did I fall asleep during part of the questionnaire and accidentally click 'agree' on the statement "You like working with the recently departed"?!

Laura Maisey, Future Embalmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment