Friday 8 March 2013

Danda, the dinner and the phone

Life with Danda is filled with fun. There are days out, there are long evenings talking nonsense and watching films, there are walks filled with Danda's extensive knowledge of history, there are occasional bouts of cleaning and, weather permitting, lots of him gardening and me drinking tea and watching. Omygoodness, there is tea. So much tea. You can never have enough tea. But most of all, life with Danda is filled with hilarity. Stomach-clutching, eye-watering hilarity. Let me demonstrate.

Danda and the dinner
The other night, Danda offered to make the dinner. I'd like to think it's because I had been working hard that day and was tired but I was probably just being lazy. We did one of those easy put-a-load-of-stuff-in-the-oven dinners. So I sat in the front room drinking tea, reading a book and listening to the sounds of Danda making dinner.

After about half an hour, he went to the oven to check and shouted that it was ready. I arrived in the kitchen and pottered around getting cutlery etc. As I turned around to collect my plate of food Danda had the two plates in front of the microwave as the microwave pinged.

In a moment of madness, he reached behind the plates and pressed the 'open door' button. The door did indeed open... sending one of the plates of food out at a hundred miles an hour before leaning gently to the floor and landing, surprisingly, facing upwards. The problem came with the speed that the plate hit the floor causing the fish and mushrooms to keep moving while the plate had stopped.

The plate that dropped, by the way, was mine.

Employing the three second rule, I whipped the food up off the floor quicker than you can say 'clumsy' and handed back to Danda to defluff.

I honestly couldn't tell it had taken a little trip southwards as I ate it but, once Danda had got over his annoyance at himself, it was difficult to eat dinner because we couldn't stop laughing about his casual lean around the plates to open the microwave door!

Danda and the phone
On Wednesday, Danda and I went to see Argo (fabulous, by the way). For those of you not in the UK, I don't know if you get this thing called Orange Wednesdays. But basically, there is a phone company called Orange and if you are with them, you can text them on a Wednesday and they will send you a code to get two for one at the cinema. We have an old phone with a sim card in for Orange. Neither of uses it as our normal phone so this old phone sits in a drawer all week until Wednesdays, when we let it out.

So two days ago, Wednesday, I came home from work, turned on the Orange phone and sent the text to get a code. Until Danda came in, the phone was sitting on the table. When he came in, there was a flurry of phones and keys and purses, as the film was starting soon.

We walked to the cinema, it is only about fifteen minutes walk away. We got there with about ten minutes before the film would start.

"Two for one to see Argo please," we told the boy behind the counter.

"Yep. Have you got your Orange Wednesday code?"

Danda turned to me. I checked my pocket. It wasn't there.

"You must have it," I said with certainty.

He checked his jeans pockets.

"I haven't."

My face dropped. I had made a point of tapping my pocket before we left and saying "Got the phone!" O man. I whipped off my jacket, held out my hands for the keys and said, "I'll have to run back and get it."

"No," said Danda. "We'll go together."

I tried to insist on him letting me run back but he said we'd walk back together.

"Hold those tickets!" we told the boy and sped off out of the cinema and round the corner.

Laughing at ourselves, I mused aloud what had happened to the phone.

"I seem to remember something. Something about the phone and you keeping it or me keeping it. I had it in my pocket, remember? Where can I have put it?"

Danda chuckled good-naturedly, for he is a forgiving soul and wouldn't hold it against me. It was a little chilly, so he put his hands in his coat pockets as we walked.....

And found the phone.

Yep.

It was in Danda's pocket all the time.....

After a severe bout of laughing till we almost wet ourselves, we turned and ran back to the cinema. The film had almost started by now. We arrived a little out of breath, the same boy looking at us. We had only been gone about three minutes.

"It was in his pocket the whole time!" I exclaimed loudly, pointing at Danda.

At least I was in the clear....



P.S. I've got some time free today so will be on to some world-saving. I'll report back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment