Friday 14 June 2013

My walk to Ham House

I do this walk once or twice a week when I go to Ham House to volunteer and I love it. Once I've got out of town, I hit the river and this is the best part of the walk....

image

Through Buccleuch Gardens....


image

Out the other side and along the edge of Petersham Meadows...


image

Petersham Meadows on my left and the Thames on my right...


image

Cows in Petersham Meadows...


image

Ducks on the path...


image

The Thames, behind a ton of forage-able dock leaves....


image

Horses came here recently!


image

Marble Hill House on the opposite side of the river so I know Ham House is soon....


image

When I see an open space in the trees ahead on the left, I know Ham House is only another minute away...


image

Sure enough...


image

The little bridge....


image

The trees are hiding the house...


image

Horses from the riding school next door....


image

Almost....


image

There it is!


image

To the right of the front door, the windows you can see at the bottom here, those are the kitchen windows! I spend all day looking out at feet!


image

I take the side gate around the building (that's my kitchen window again, bottom left)...


image

... Which brings me to the door the volunteers use to get in, the black one on the left....


image

I then go down a few steps to the bathroom area....


image

... Into the eerily quiet and empty downstairs, which contains the bathroom, the beer cellar, the kitchen and the mess rooms...


image

Turning left, I get into the scullery, which then opens out into my favourite room in Ham House....


image

The kitchen! This is where I spend all my time baking, the room I know most about and the place where I feel most comfortable, whilst working at the...


image

Beautiful and huge old table, built in the kitchen in 1610 using elm wood from an elm tree on the estate. This table is my favourite thing in the house. And probably my favourite table of all the tables I have known.

Readers, if you do not yet have a favourite table, I suggest you get onto it.

And that is my journey, once or twice a week. It's quite nice, as it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment