Thursday 12 April 2012

E is for...

EVERY DAY!

These are the things I do every day.

Drink tea x 10000
Yoga
Blog
Bake
Food shop
Walk
Watch TV
Check phone x 10000
Think about how soon my exams are
Look at my pile of textbooks (I don't mean, looking at the words on the page, I mean looking at the pile, then looking away again)

'Baking every day?' you might say. 'EVERY day?' Well, yes. I find a way, don't you worry. Things always need making. Last week I made (are you ready?) banana bread x 2, raspberry marshmallows, plum jam, baklava, an Easter egg, fruity nutty snack bars, vanilla and goji berry muffins x 4, two loaves of bread (one I turned into breadcrumbs) and then all the stuff I ate for my normal meals. I don't usually eat any of the cakey stuff I make so that's not my actual calorie intake, in case you're thinking I must be really hungry all the time!

I like to feed people. I'm definitely a feeder. I like to give people things I've made but then there's the nervousness in case they don't like it but they're too polite to say. So there's the worry and the 'Is it ok? Are you sure? Is it tasty? It's ok if it's not. Did I overcook it? Undercook it? Are there too many nuts in it? Not enough nuts? Are you sure it's tasty?'

Linked in with that is food shopping. Yes I do that thing everyone does, a big massive shop every few days or every week or something, so why do I need to go every day? Because I like it! I like going through the slidey doors and the cool air welcomes you in and you just walk around, amongst all the food, and feel nice. I wander up and down the jam section, getting ideas for new flavours to experiment with. I potter around the fruit section, seeing if there are any offers on, planning my next baking adventure. I go to the bread and cake section, stealing ideas again. Then to the baking aisle and debate whether the 500 eggs in my fridge are enough or whether I need 6 more. Survey the tea selection. Then I end up at the cookbook section, sneakily reading them cover to cover. Then I emerge back into the sunlight, an hour later, empty handed but feeling wonderful. Sometimes that's all I need. I've had my kick.

Watching TV every day. You know, I couldn't even tell you what I've watched recently. It's such a mindless activity. And so much time gets absorbed into it. It's probably the most useless 'every day' thing I do. When I'm a bit knackered from work I settle down on the sofa with a cup of tea and stare at it but it's not really like I'm watching it, I'm in some sort of trance and the TV happens to be there, keeping me company.

I'm not even going to start on 'think about how soon my exams are' and 'look at my pile of textbooks.' I worked hard all year actually, so it's not like I'm really intimidated by it. I think it will be fine. It's just doing it, getting started on the revision. I will. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment