Friday 27 April 2012

T is for...

THE BIG SHOP!



The Big Shop that you do when you first arrive on holiday. You know the one, and you arrive home with an unnamed slab of white fish which might be cod, or it could be a fish you don't really get at home. And you get teabags that end up being a kind of mystery coffee-bag thing that you don't really like but drink anyway.

You pick up all the different milk, wondering if skimmed, semi skimmed and whole are the same colours here or whether its just the different brands. You read the ingredients, you look at the nutritional value, trying to get a clue. And end up buying soya by accident anyway.

Is that green leafy stuff spinach? It doesn't look exactly like spinach but it looks more like it than anything else you can see.

Why do their packs of bacon only have three pieces in them? That's bizarre. And is this chicken? Does frango mean chicken?

Yesterday I went to a chicken fast food place as we were running out of options. The other choices were Burger King, a place called Le Croissant and McDonald's. My eyes are bad so I had to wait to get right up to the till before I could see the menu. So I ordered two seconds after seeing it, in a panic. In bad Portuguese (I thought) I asked for some chicken strips and a few legs. Didn't need any extras, there were plenty of other bits the others had got to share. Before I knew it I had two massive trays full of chips and fried chicken in breadcrumbs and a bottle of water. And two sets of plastic cutlery. I'd ordered two MASSIVE chicken and chips meals!

How that happened I still don't know! I'm off to the shop in a minute actually, for some teabags that are tea and not some mystery substance. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment