Tuesday 28 August 2012

A revolution in my swimming world

Now this may seem quite silly to most. It's a tiny thing that does not deserve its own post. The majority will wonder why I have not been doing it all along. But I haven't. And now I am. And it's a revolution of epic proportions.

I swam with my face UNDER the water yesterday!

Usually I don't need to, if I'm doing back stroke for example. But when I do breast stroke, I just stay above water. The whole water-rushing-up-nose thing didn't really appeal. This is also the sole reason I do not do front crawl.

I was quite happy in my little back stroke and breast stroke world. I knew I still had four years to train for the next Olympics so there was no real rush.

Then yesterday, someone told me to just go under and stop being a baby. Just breathe out through your nose and mouth and no water can get in, they told me. I was sceptical. I dipped under a few times, panicked, and breathed water hard into my throat. A ha! It was proved! My fear of water-up-nose was justified as I had water up my nose.

Breathe out, not in, silly.

So I tried again breathing out and it was fine. I did it a few more times. Then I did breast stroke with my head under. Amazing! You can see everything under the pool through your goggles and it's really wierd. Cool. But wierd. The noise of splashing and voices cuts off and suddenly you're in a silent world of legs and blue.

Then I approached a stroke I never do. Never ever. Because I see so many other people doing it extremely inelegantly and wish they'd stop. And I also see so many people doing it brilliantly and know I'll never look like them.

It was time.... For front crawl....

My front crawl currently looks a little like a drowning cat so I only do it for short bursts, until I can no longer stand doing something so unOlympicy and then I stop. But it's a revolution! I'm breaking new ground here. It's very exciting.

P.S. I fully understand if some of you leave this post in disgust. What kind of swimmer goes swimming almost every day for over two months before putting their face under? In my defence, I will say that I was just taking it slowly, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment