Saturday 4 August 2012

Ever wondered how to make that complicated dish, mushrooms on toast?

I apologise for leaving you all hanging so long but here it is finally, a little catch up with our favourite magazine, Chat.

My first stop off today is on the photo page. I've talked about this before, about how people just send photos of themselves or people they know, doing mundane stuff, which is of no interest to anyone else. For example, this week we've got a photo of a cat playing with water running from a tap, a picture of someone's mum smiling and a baby looking surprised. The best one, though, is this one.
image




The caption says "I love knitting! So much so that I made myself a little band of pirates." What on earth?! How does her love of KNITTING explain why she's made herself a load of pirates?! A jumper, perhaps? A scarf? Things which have more use. What use has a grown woman for six knitted pirates? And how does that prove her love of knitting? I'd say it proves two things - 1. Her love of cuddly toys. 2. The lack of excitement in her life.

Talking of toys, there is an amazing letter from a reader on the We Hear You page. It's from a woman who talks about struggling with not having any children. She has found some comfort in her sufferings though.... "I have been collecting dolls for over 40 years! They've really helped me through the hard times."

One good thing in Chat is a section called Bit On The Side. It's often got things in like comparing prices and quality of microwave meals, usually Asda comes out on top for a 'tasty' looking microwave lasagne or something. Sometimes it has a fashion item. This week there are five pairs of summery wedge sandals. I'm definitely NOT on the wedge sandal bandwagon so that bit disappointed me.

Occasionally there are recipes. This week's recipe is hilarious. If I tell you what it is, I'm not sure you'd believe me. So here's a photo to prove it.
image



Mushrooms on toast! MUSHROOMS! ON TOAST! A 'recipe'? Is that a recipe? Honestly. The ingredients are (are you ready?) butter, olive oil, mushrooms, bread, salt and pepper, tarragon. O wait! There's one more I've missed. It's the '2tbsp ready-chopped garlic (available in jars from the supermarket).' God forbid the readers of Chat might be asked to obtain some fresh garlic and actually chop it! No no! Mustn't do that! Get it pre-chopped. In a jar. From a supermarket. Don't venture out to a local farmer's market and get some recently dug up from ground, still a bit muddy. Urgh! Freshness, urgh! No, best to get it on a jar already chopped from Tesco.

The recipe, let's look at the recipe. I'm not sure I'll be able to follow it. It already sounds way complicated. Ok, first cook the mushrooms in a pan. Then toast the bread. Then add the garlic to the mushrooms. Then add the tarragon and seasoning. Then put the mushrooms on the toast. I'll need a lesson on Masterchef before I attempt that one, I think.

Ok, the Blimey, That's Clever page is great this week. The best by far is this.

image



The 'tip' is, keep some eggshells, draw faces on them and put cress seeds in them. When it grows it looks like hair.... That's not a tip. It's just not a tip. It's nonsense. I have no more to say on this one.

Finally, there's this tip...

image



The woman who writes the tip says her granddaughter, Beatrice, found this pouffe comfortable. That's it. That's the tip. If you have a baby and a pouffe, put them together....

I know you've enjoyed this catch up with Chat. I'm just sorry there was such a long pause between the last catch up and this one. I promise not to leave you hanging for so long next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment