Tuesday 20 March 2012

"Just a reg"

Another story from work today. (Yes, yes, I know you want to hear about this week's Chat magazine again but you'll just have to hold your horses. I'll get a copy today and give you some highlights soon, ok?)

I'm in work and a customer is paying for something, when in walks a certain someone from a certain programme where you all compete for a job with Lord someone.
There he is, hair swept back, slight tan giving the impression that he possibly leads quite a charmed existence, full of holidays and women. He strolls in, casually, in the knowledge that he is the picture of suave. He's quite tall and carries it well. His funny little moustachey thing could go, but overall he gives the impression of being very self-assured and 'cool'.
I pretend not to recognise him. "How can I help you?"
"Can I get a mocha please?" (There it is again, "Can I get?" Anyway....)
"Sure. What size would you like? Regular or large?"

And then it happens. The suaveness disappears. Mr. Cool is rapidly replaced by Mr. Dickhead. What he said next is a direct quote. It is burned into my memory with a branding iron.

"Just a reg."

A reg. That's honestly what he said. A reg. What on earth is a reg? I wanted to say, "I'm sorry, I'll ask again, regular or large? Because what you just said was nonsense. I need an answer to the question if you want this mocha." A reg. I was extremely close to just sending him out of the deli, empty handed, to think about what he'd done. If there was a naughty step, I would have sent him to it.

What actually happened was that I pretended to just double-check what he'd said by saying innocently, "Regular, you said?" He said yes, I pottered off to make it.

Another thing that people say, which I think they're doing to give the impression that they're regular coffee drinkers and, therefore, know the lingo, is "cap".

"I'd like a skinny cap, please," they say. The thing is, I've been making coffee for a living for more years than I care to count, and I have never, and I mean NEVER, said "cap" instead of cappuccino. The word cappuccino is not so long that it's really saving any time to say "cap" instead. What I really want to say is, "Actually, no, you can't get a cap here. I think you've come to the wrong place if that's what you need. This is a deli, we quite clearly don't sell headgear, do we? Pop into town, maybe you want to visit a sportswear shop instead?"

As a follow up from yesterday's blog, a friend told me that she's seen BNS written in recipes before. Have a guess what it might mean? Ready for the answer?
Butternut squash. Again, ridiculous.

4 comments:

  1. Please tell me that Mr Dickhead is a former contestant (and if so which one??!), because I'm having a momentary flash of fear that it might be Nick which would make me cry because he seems so lovely. I presume it's not the Lord himself since I can't imagine he gets his owns coffees, caps or regs or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah. It was the last round. Vince. Do you remember him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! How could I forget?!? I always knew he was a twat . . .

    ReplyDelete