Monday 26 March 2012

"Thanks Driver!"

"Thanks Driver!"

What is this about? I've always thought it was ridiculous. People getting off the bus, shouting their thanks by calling the driver by his job. Why just bus drivers? If I was in work and I made someone a coffee and they pottered off with it in their hands and said "Thanks Barista!" I definitely wouldn't be impressed. It's my job, not my name! I'm pleased to say that no-one has ever said that to me. I might try it actually, next time I'm in Paperchase, buying someone a birthday card or something, I'll leave the shop whilst shouting brightly, "Thanks cashier!" I'm pretty sure that'd be really annoying. It's kind of along the same lines as calling people 'gays,' like someone's entire being can be summed up by one facet of their life or personality.

It's totally nonsensical to specify, on a bus, who you're grateful to. It's not like if you were to just say 'Thanks', there might be some confusion as to who you were talking to, with fellow passengers thinking to themselves, "O, she must be talking to me because I was very helpful, sitting here in my seat looking out of the window, during her journey. Yeh, it's definitely me she means." You obviously mean the driver, he's the only person that's been helpful, by driving you, so just 'Thanks' is fine.

Phew, I've been thinking about that since I was about 12 when I used to get the bus home from school. It's good to finally get it off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment