Sunday 29 July 2012

Gymnastics

In the spirit of the Olympic Games, I thought I'd tell you a little story about gymnastics.

I don't remember going to a gymnastics club when I was younger. I did go to trampolining, which was huge fun and was always at a drama club, channelling my inner thespian.

My friend, however, he didn't need no stinking 'club' for his gymnastics. Him and his brother and sister had reached Olympian standards by just practising at home. They were highly organised about it.

They would stand in a line, oldest to youngest, and his sister would take the lead. She would choose a move, a rollover, or a cartwheel, or a handsstand. And when she finished the move, she would throw her arms up in the air and shout, "GYM!"

My friend would come next. He would have to copy the move exactly and, when finished, throw his hands in the air and shout "NA!"

Younger brother would come last and copy the move, hands in the air and shout "STICS!"

When all done, they would shout "GYMNASTICS!" together and then get in line for the next move.

Another rollover - "GYM!" Another one - "NA!" Another one - "STICS!" All together - "GYMNASTICS!"

They also spent quite a lot of time perfecting their ice skating skills. They would push the furniture back against the walls in the front room and roll up the rugs. And they would 'ice-skate' around the front room and do commentary on each other's skills.

I haven't seen any of their names in the Olympic line-up for the gymnastics or the ice skating but, of course, they might be going by aliases. Because if people knew how good they were and that they were representing Britain in the Olympics, they'd probably get mobbed... Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment