Thursday 14 February 2013

A Valentine's mix-up

Yesterday, I finished work at 3pm and decided I'd potter into town and get some ideas for Valentine's Day. Unusually for me, I didn't have anything planned. Now I'm a girl who loves to plan a surprise. Any occasion. I'll get started on plans months in advance. I love it.

So Valentine's Day was on the horizon and, for some unknown reason, I just didn't get round to planning anything. I'm ok at last minute so it wasn't a major problem but I was a little surprised. That's why I decided to wander around town for a while looking for ideas yesterday. I thought I could form a plan whilst seeing things to get inspiration. 

I went into the fancy, preppy Jack Wills and perused the sock section. I visited Molten Brown and smelled the many shower gels. I looked at the photo frames in Zara Home, the jumpers in Crew Clothing and the books in Waterstone's. Eventually, whilst wandering around M&S, I decided on a nice pair of pyjamas (that I will inevitably steal and start wearing within a week) and, remembering that it is just Valentine's and not a full on birthday or anything, restrained myself enough to just decide to buy some chocolates to go with the pyjamas.

I headed straight for my favourite chocolate shop. It is called William Curley's and is a haven of chocolatey goodness. It has won awards. It runs chocolate cookery courses daily. Its chocolates are flavoured with the delicate tastes of Scottish heather and Richmond Park honey. It is phenomenally good quality. I always put a little something from William Curley's on the side of birthday gifts.

Danda called while I was on my way there and asked me where I was.

"O, just in Waitrose," said I, sneakily. For I am very sneaky sometimes. "I'm getting us some dinner."

"Brilliant. I've been at the garage all afternoon. The gears on the taxi broke. The mechanic just got finished and I'm driving back. Do you fancy going to the cinema tonight?"

"That sounds great. Call me when you get here."

I hurried to William Curley's, for I would have to get home and hide the presents before Danda got back or it would ruin the surprise. Turning into the little lane, I started to imagine what chocolate I would pick for him. I pushed open the door, stepped into the shop and looked up.....

.... At Danda!

There was a moment of recognition as we both realised what had happened. He was at the till paying and just suddenly said, "Get out!" pointing wildly at the door, at which I turned on my heel and fled, laughing uncontrollably.

O well. There goes the surprise! And now I have to think of a new plan for the chocolate part of the present, as I obviously didn't get any. Maybe a hug will do?

No comments:

Post a Comment