Saturday 9 February 2013

Danda and the little policeman jumper

I've just got a little story to tell you because there are children visiting and it is difficult to do anything of any length without them needing me to join in playing hide and seek or assist them upstairs to look under beds for dragons etc etc.

This story is about way back when Danda and I didn't know each other very well. We had chatted a little, made polite conversation and he had asked me to dinner. We went to Wagamama's, a Japanese chain restaurant with lovely food and great atmosphere. I often went for an hour before work and sat drinking green tea, nibbling on some noodles and reading a book.

We had been sitting in the far corner chatting, conversation was flowing and we found we had a similar sense of humour. All was well. I had dressed up a little for the occasion, in a batwing black jumper (bring back the 80s!), wraparoundy scarf thing that I had got in the Philippines, and grey trousers. I'd like to think I was channelling the shabby-chic look. Danda was wearing black trousers, a black V-neck jumper and a white shirt. He looked very smart.

At some point during the meal, Danda went off to the toilet and came back looking dismayed.

"Is everything ok?" I asked.

"No. I just caught sight of myself in the full length mirror. It's this jumper. I look like a small off-duty policeman!"

And that was it. Our fate was sealed. Who doesn't love a small off-duty policeman?

No comments:

Post a Comment