Wednesday 27 February 2013

Trying to be useful

Ok, everyone. It's time for me to admit something. I've been living selfishly. It is the first time I have done so since deciding a while ago, that I was going to live unselfishly. I did my undergraduate degree in Human Rights and officially have letters that I can put after my name to prove I have some knowledge in this area. I became very interested in the issue of capital punishment and went to law school with this in mind.

...And then the law degree was long... And difficult.... And dry.... And not so interesting.... Which took me by surprise. I also wasn't very good at it. No matter how much I studied and prepared and did masses of extra reading, I'd go to tutorials and the tutors would ask a question. As the excitable student I am, I'd be there, hand in the air going "Me! Me! Pick me! I know!" Then I'd say something like, "Fisher v Bell." And the tutor would go, "No."

....Ah. Um. Ok.

My exams last May were tough. My brain almost caved in. I needed a break. I liked people and I wanted to do good things with my life. But I needed to retreat and recoup.

My operation midway through the degree also didn't help. I know it's illogical and I know there is no answer to it but I felt annoyed and wanted to know why. Why had it happened to me? I wasn't annoyed actually, I was pissed off. Really pissed off. Retreating and recovering was a way for me to also process what had happened. There's nothing like a brush with death to clarify the important things in life!

So since May I have been doing things I like, to kind of shake everything off and make myself a blank page again. To start from scratch and remember what it is want to do. So I have been blogging, baking, eating, writing, reading, walking, seeing friends. And it is lovely. I like my life and I like how I spend my time.

But now I'm ready to get involved again. I want to do useful things with my time again. I watched Cloud Atlas tonight and someone said there is no point joining a cause you believe in as it will just be a drop in the ocean. The reply was that yes, it is just a drop in the ocean but the ocean is made up of drops.

I'm going to do an experiment for a while. I've downloaded two books about small daily actions which can make a little difference. One is about trying to live a more environmentally friendly life. The other is about anything and everything. I'll post the tips from both books and try to do whichever is most feasible, or both if I can.

Let's see how being nice goes....

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment