Saturday 17 November 2012

My new yoga enemies

Today, I was going to finally deal with a Leibster Award I was given a few months back and was looking forward to it as I remember the questions being quite good. I had also planned who I was going to pass the award on to. It all promised to be very exciting. As I have the morning free, I was going to sit here and dedicate myself to it with gusto.

So I went back to the day I was given it, in early September, rifled through the comments and found the one which said I had been given the award. And I clicked on the link, all excited. And the link went to a generic Wordpress start-up page with nothing on it. There was one post from 13 November which said Welcome to your new Wordpress site. And nothing else. It totally threw me. I know I took a few months to deal with the award... but enough to make her pack in her entire Wordpress career?

Hence, I am now a little stumped. I don't have anything prepared for a post. But never fear! In my massively exciting world, in which I am constantly doing and saying really interesting things, I shall serenade you (serenade?) with a tale of what happened at last night's yoga class.

I have been doing yoga on and off for about ten years now, sometimes at home from a DVD, sometimes at classes, sometimes just from a book. So I'm familiar with the yoga 'scene.' My friend (the one mentioned in this post) and I decided to go to a beginner's yoga class last night, as she has never done it before. I called up that morning and booked us in and at 5.50pm, we arrived, legging-clad and ready to go.

We walked into the room and saw a bench in a corner, which had a few bags on it, so figured this is where we were supposed to leave our stuff. We approached the bench, put down our bags and were chitchatting while we took our socks and shoes off.

"Are you new to the yoga class?" an older lady asked, as we were taking our shoes off.

"Yes," we said, thinking she was perhaps the teacher and about to welcome us in a friendly manner.

"Ok. It's just that usually we go here."

We were confused. Did she mean that the yoga class was happening over the other side of the room and she and the man standing next to her were doing something different there and we had accidentally left our stuff in the bit where they have a different class? But they had mats down as though they were about to do yoga.

"Sorry, what's... Is this bit not the yoga?" I asked.

"Yes, this is where we have our mats."

Let's just get this straight. An older lady, one who should have known better, perhaps in her fifties, was telling us, in a rather condescending manner, that as 'new' people to the class, we should learn that this is 'their' corner. Like the naughty boys who wanted the back seat of the bus and woe betide anyone who sat there mistakenly!

I was clearly quite annoyed as we had not even made any moves to give the impression that we were trying to stay in that spot for the class. We were clearly just putting our stuff on the bench next to everyone else's stuff and taking our shoes off. We weren't even trying to put mats down or anything. We hadn't picked mats up yet!

"Yeh, we're just taking our shoes off," I said, irritated.

She sensed my annoyance.

"O, I'm not being rude or anything, I just, it's just that we usually go here. I'm not being rude." And she smiled politely. As though I wouldn't notice that she was being rude, simply because there was a smile on her face. I'm not fooled, lady! You're still being rude, even if you're saying "I'm not being rude" and smiling! You're still being really bloody rude!

So we said, "Yeh, we're just taking our shoes off," and pottered off to get mats. We put them in the other corner of the room but we were still quite near them as the room wasn't that big. Everyone else was sitting or lying down, doing a bit of relaxation before the class, being very quiet and concentrating on their breathing. The rowdy 'naughty boys on the bus' older couple stayed standing and discussing something or other quite loudly, considering everyone else in the room was silent. I caught snippets of conversation.

"...had sex for the first time in six weeks.... yeh, six weeks.... yeh, she's not been well... had that fall...."

I mean, really now? You kicked us out of the corner spot that we weren't even trying to go in and now you're discussing sex at an unnecessary volume in a room full of silent people, trying to be silent and relax prior to their yoga class. What's wrong with you people?

So the teacher comes in, she greets us and is saying that she can see a lot of new faces and doing the general 'hello' stuff and this silly couple, the 'naughty boys at the back of the bus who love talking about sex' couple, keep talking, right over the teacher. As if they're trying to show everyone who's really in charge here. It was honestly ridiculous.

So I shushed them.

That's right. I shushed them.

ssshhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It started small but they didn't take any notice so it built until I was almost hoarse from shushing. It felt good.

The teacher joked that it was like a cinema. I presume she meant people shushing other people for talking through the film or being loud with popcorn. So I admit it. I am a shusher. I also used to do it at uni if people were talking through the lecturer's teaching. That's just me, ok? I'm a shusher!

So then the class started and I forgot about my new yoga enemies but as I'm writing this, I'm remembering all over again and am re-flabbergasted. So my friend and I have made a plan. Next week, we will arrive really early and TAKE THEIR SPOT IN THE CORNER! Mwah ha ha ha ha! We live on the edge. And if they say anything to us, we will say, all innocently, "O, sorry, we're new, we didn't realise. Well, we're here now. That space there is just as good, try going there."

No comments:

Post a Comment