Friday 23 November 2012

The worst photo of myself

Ok, I feel that I am at a stage in my blogging 'career' where I can share a few things I normally wouldn't share with strangers. But we are no longer strangers to one another. So yesterday whilst having a nose bleed, I remembered the last time I had a nose bleed, which was during my hospital stay, post-big-scary operation.

Because what happened to me was quite unusual (they had never seen it in that hospital before), there was no ward for me really so I had just been put on a ward where there was space. I slept intermittently during the day and was awake at night, when the lady in the bed opposite me would cry out things like "Ohhhh... The squire! He's starving to death!" in her sleep. It was a bit random. The lady next to her had bowel cancer and wore a colostomy bag and talked about not being able to go on public transport because she always had to be a few minutes away from a toilet.

This one night, I had a little nose bleed. I pressed my button for a nurse to come and got a tissue. Which the blood soaked through. Then another tissue. And another. And another. We couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stop. Then I remembered that they give you blood-thinning medication sometimes, don't they, if you're lying down a lot. So that you don't get blood clots in your legs from not moving them. And, as we saw in a previous post, I was not too keen on going for a walkies!

Thus, my nose bleed went on. And on. And on. Because my blood wouldn't clot! Every time, I thought it would have stopped and took the tissue away, it started flooding out again. I felt like my brain might come out through my nostril if it didn't stop.

Eventually the nurses just rolled up two of their little square spongey pad things that they use to clean wounds up with, and shoved one in each nostril and hoped that would stop it and force it to clot.

Quite amused by the whole situation, I waited until they'd cleared up and left then took a photo.

Bear in mind, I couldn't get my enormous ten inch stapled wound down my front wet so hadn't showered or washed my hair in about five days.

Are you ready?

image

Lovely, isn't it?.......

Don't answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment