Thursday 6 December 2012

Getting festive

Yesterday, my childhood friend and I decided to go to Westfield shopping centre. If this name doesn't mean anything to you, imagine the hugest most enormous building in the world, full of shops and restaurants. I think it's the biggest one in Europe or something. We made a plan to go there and sort out a few Christmas presents. I also kind of thought I'd keep an eye out for a nice outfit for Christmas day and maybe some new shoes as a few pairs are starting to look a bit scrappy.

Remember this: I was looking for a Christmas day outfit, shoes and some presents.

My friend's agenda was something like this: new warm winter coat, smart clothes for work-related placement, Christmas presents for family.

We entered the foray and started our shopping expedition. We went into shop after shop, looking for warm coats. I kept an eye out for a nice dress for Christmas Day. There's just one problem though.... I am a different person in my head than I am in real life, when it comes to clothes.

In my head, I'm edgy and cool, my style is very All Saints and when I pass people in the street, they wonder how they will ever be as cool and fashionable as me. I'd describe my look as 'off-duty supermodel' if asked. I've got beach-babe tousled hair and ooze effortlessness and cool, while being au naturel and fabulous.

....In real life, however.... I'm more non-descript. I wear neutral clothes for work - jeans and t-shirts mostly. So even when I have a day off, out come the jeans and t-shirts anyway. I think I own make-up, god knows where it might be though. There are also some high heels somewhere in a cupboard, I think. I'm quite flat-footed though, so don't really wear them for long before I'm dying to take them off. I live in my Crocs whilst at work, which no supermodel, not even an off duty one, would ever wear. My hair could be described as tousled-beach-babe but if I'm honest, it's more unbrushed-and-trying-to-turn-into-dreads. And in desperate need of a cut, which I'm too lazy to go and get. I wear dresses quite often but they're the casual stretchy summery dresses that you team up with leggings and boots, not the elegant ladylike dresses that, in my head, I look so great in....

Hence, there is an issue when shopping. The me in my head looks fab in floor-length bejewelled gowns are beautiful and head-turning. The me in real life looks like a little squat dwarf in them as I'm FAR too short and look totally lost inside such long dresses. So as I wandered around oohing and aahing at the lovely dresses, I didn't find anything I could actually wear, just what I thought I might be able wear when my moment of 'cool' kicks in. I've been waiting 27 years for it to happen so it's bound to be any minute now.

I loved the plum-coloured fitted dress which looked like it would really compliment my body, if it weren't for the 10inch lumpy tummy scar from my operation that shows through tight tops.

I loved the knee high brown leather boots that looked like they belonged on a horse farm, if it weren't for the fact that I couldn't pull them further than my chunky little mid calves.

And so it went on, for hours - me spotting things that would perfectly compliment the imagined me, but which didn't suit or fit the real me. Things that would suit the real me were boring so I didn't look at them.

We stopped for a food break halfway round and discussed a game plan. We remembered that I was looking for shoes, a dress and presents. She was looking for a coat, smart clothes and presents.

When we were on the move again, we made real efforts to find things. We walked. And we walked. And we walked. For about three and a half hours in total.

The result? My friend bought a jumper and some warm leggings. I bought a Christmas jumper and a leather jacket, because I've never owned one and it was more than 50% off the original price, bringing into my financial sights.

image


I'm not quite sure whether I'd consider this trip a success..... But I do LOVE my jumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment