Friday 21 December 2012

Pre-Christmas lunching

Yesterday, Danda and I decided we would have fancy lunch as a kind of pre-Christmas lunchy thing. It was amazing, obviously. I was also trying out the dress I had bought for Christmas day, to see if it was possibly too outrageous as it has bright pink on it. The weather was quite grubby but we had a nice view of the river....

image


...and the Festive Lunch menu promised to be fantastic...

image

I chose the other option to Danda on each course so we had one of everything. A sore throat threatened to ruin the occasion so I got a fresh mint tea, which helped things.

image

It was also very pretty to look at, so I was happy.

Before starting, we were brought some freshly baked bread and butter and a small thingy in a glass that was parmesan custard, butternut mousse and pine nut sprinkles....

image


My starter was the mackerel tartare and fresh mackerel with cucumber and apple which was surprisingly light. Mackerel is usually quite a strong flavour, I guess because it is often smoked. But this was quite mild and didn't drown out the other tastes at all.

image


Danda's starter was a chestnut soup with a warm duck's egg and glazed wild mushrooms. The duck's egg had a lovely rich flavour, far stronger than a hen's egg.

image


My main was a risotto with parmesan mousse, mushrooms and garlic crisps which, by the way, were amazing. The whole thing had hints of sweetness throughout, which surprised me, as I'm not big on sweet tastes in a savoury meal but this was lovely.

image


Danda's main was pheasant with mashed potato, baby carrots and a crostini with pig's trotter. The crostini was so tasty, despite its rather unattractive description.

image


By the time we got to dessert, I was on the wrong side of stuffed but soldiered through, ordering the trifle with vanilla biscuits...

image


....while Danda ordered the warm eccles cake with cheese, walnuts and chicory on the side

image


Post-lunch, we had espressos...

image


...and were brought a dish of sweeties...

image


The macaroon was vanilla and mince pie flavour! It was fabulous. All in all, it was a lovely getting-ready-for-Christmas lunch. It was also my last day off until Christmas Day so it was nice to dress up and pretend to be a laaaaady for a while.

Later in the evening, a neighbour had invited everyone over for mulled wine and mince pies so I ended the evening nibbling my way through the offerings and discussing whether the world would end the following day. Which, by the way, is today. I hope I live to write another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment