Sunday 12 May 2013

The Theatre-Goers Manifesto

I have been to two musicals in the past few days and it gave me some food for thought. At the end of Thriller (which, strictly speaking, isn't really a musical), there was a moment of seriousness when they sang Heal The World and Man In The Mirror and told us to think about Michael's message of peace. This then descended into chaos when they did Bad and everyone got up and danced like maniacs but as we left, I was feeling the MJ love and thought I might try incorporating a little of his lyrics into my day to day life.

Then last night, we went to see The Rocky Horror Show and my mind was blown. I didn't really have a clue what was going on but it didn't seem to matter. There was much wooping and dancing. I do like a good woop. Every time one of the characters said something, a group of dedicated Rocky Horror fans up the front yelled something and then everyone laughed.

The best example of this was when Brad and Janet knocked on the door of the house to ask if they could use the phone and the butler guy said something like, "Well, you'd better..."

And out of the blue, a large section of the audience yelled, "FUCK OFF!"

Clearly, there was a lot of fun being had and I do think it is important to remember to have fun so I have made the following theatre-based manifesto for my life....

If ever I feel something is wrong, "I'll start with the (wo)man in the mirror" but, more importantly, whilst doing so, I will always "jump to the left before I step to the riiiiiiight." That part is important. The good thing is that "I'm gonna make a change" and "it's gonna feel real good." But while thinking about what's wrong, I realised that "maybe the rain isn't really to blame" and maybe the problem is that I'm a "sweet transvestite from Transylvania." You can see how that would be a problem, right? People say, "I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it," but I haven't got time for that nonsense. Because I know what to do when things get tough. I'll remember not to "get flustered, use a bit of mustard." Great advice.

Well, that's me sorted. I was getting all bothered about what to do but the theatre this week has sorted that all out.

And before I go, a little word on MJ and his song "Liberian Girl," which I love. I definitely thought it was called "Librarian Girl" when I was younger. And I think that's why I loved it. And loved Michael Jackson. I knew he recognised the importance of books and what a fabulous job librarians do.

On that note, I'm off. Enjoy your Sunday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment