Friday 11 January 2013

An afternoon of Pi

Yesterday, whilst heading out of the house, earphones in and audiobook playing, I had plans to go for a long walk as I was at a good bit in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I'd get an hour or two of listening in and it would be great. I also really love walking when it's cold. I love the crispness of the fresh air and how the river looks in the bright sunshine. I had a fabulous afternoon ahead.

Then Danda called, five minutes into my walk.

"Do you fancy going to see a film?" he asked.

"Alright," said I, my dedication to my original plan immediately disappeared. "Life of Pi is on and someone told me it's really good."

As we approached the cinema and were asked for the small fee of a million pounds (or thereabouts) for the pleasure of seeing the film, Danda said.....

"So the film probably won't be that interesting. The Life of Pi? It's simple, isn't it? You make it, you put it in the oven, you bake it, you take it out, you eat it."

Ah Danda, ever the witty one.

And actually, the film is really good. I read the book when I was a student at Glasgow University briefly. I then read another book by Yann Martel, called Self, as I was doing a module on my English Literature course called 'The Self.' I always remember that module because my friend Jamie and I thought it was hilarious to call it 'The Shelf.'

Anyway, I'd loved the book of Life of Pi. I even referenced it in essays that were about completely different things, as much as possible. I loved the section about how he trained Richard Parker. I loved the episode with the flying fish. And I loved the funny meerkats on the island.

I was really glad the film was so good because it was just how I would want it to be, had I thought about how to make a film out of such a fabulous book.

If you don't know the basic premise, it is this - Indian zoo keeper and family decide to move to America, they are taking the animals with them on a boat, the boat sinks, one boy and a handful of the animals survive on a lifeboat. What's not to love?! Go and see it if you get a chance.

And now I am off for a walk and to listen to Brave New World. I wonder what will distract me today?

No comments:

Post a Comment