Thursday 31 January 2013

Things I learned from watching Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was very tall.

He was also a Republican. I realised I don't know what party most of America's presidents were from (apart from the most recent ones). I know names and policies, eg Roosevelt and The New Deal. But I don't really know whether they were Democrat or Republican.

It was really hard to get the 13th Amendment through. I didn't realise how many educated men had opposed it.

The 13th Amendment was such a massive thing. I think we don't realise it because we live in an age where slavery seems so incomprehensible.

Abraham Lincoln and his wife didn't really get on a lot of the time.

All but one of his sons died before adulthood.

Everything was so dark at night time, pre-electricity.

Sometimes, as humans, we do the wrong thing. And sometimes we do the right thing. There is hope for us yet.

Abraham Lincoln was a self-taught lawyer. He read some Blackstone's guides then passed the Bar and started practising. I reckon I could probably skip bar school and do the same. What do you think? (This isn't actually in the film, I Googled it afterward.)

Lincoln was assassinated right in the thick of the war ending and the Amendment being passed. I hadn't realised it was so soon.

Orange Wednesday is mental time to go to the cinema. I've never seen so many people waiting in a line to buy popcorn. (I learned that from the cinema experience itself, not the film.)

A bottle of water in the shop is £1. A bottle of water in the cinema is £2.75.

No comments:

Post a Comment