Monday 28 January 2013

Danda and the croissant

On a recent train journey, Danda and I were up early so neither of us had eaten before leaving the house. We got one train, then a tube then another train, which had all taken about an hour and a half. By the time we sat down, we were feeling light-headed from tea-deprivation and hunger.

Danda, in a fit of generosity and helpfulness, offered to go and get some victuals from the cafe cart, further down the train.

"What would you like?" he asked.

"Oo, just something small," said I, not wanting to sound like a fat pie by asking for two muffins and a chocolate bar.

"A croissant, perhaps?" he suggested.

"Yes please. A little croissant would be nice."

"And a drink? Some tea?"

"Yes, I think so. And a bottle of water."

"Ok," Danda said and started to leave.

"Actually, no. Not a tea, thanks. Just a water."

"Just a water?"

"Yeh, thanks."

And off he went, to the cafe cart. He was gone quite a while. I was getting hungry and couldn't stop thinking about the croissant Danda was bringing back to me. My throat hurt and I was looking forward to having a nice cool drink of water.

I waited and waited and wondered what had happened.

After about fifteen minutes Danda arrived back at the table and gave me a bottle of water. I looked in his hands and couldn't see anything else. Not a coffee for himself or a croissant for me or anything. Hmm.

He sat down, super casual, and started making idle chatter about the recent snow.

"Danda," I said, timidly. Clearly something had happened here and I did not know what it was. "Danda, where are all the other things? I thought you would have got a cup of coffee?"

"O yes, I had one. There are little tables there where you can have your coffee so I had it there."

"And the croissant?"

"Yes, I had one with my coffee. It was quite nice. They give you two little ones with your coffee."

"And the other one? Where is that one?"

"I started it but got quite full. I threw most of the second one in the bin."

"Um, in the bin? Why did you put it in the bin? Didn't you bring one for me?"

"O. I thought you just wanted the water. I threw the other croissant away."

Yes that's right. Not only had he thought I only wanted water but he had eaten a croissant whilst there, then had a bite of a second and thrown it in the bin. The bin, readers. The bin in carriage number 13. While I starved in carriage number 18.

Any advice on what I should do about this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment