Saturday 12 January 2013

Dancing in public (part two)

Yesterday, I left London ("Urgh! Why?" I hear you all ask). I've come north to see the friend I did a lot of travelling with years ago. We haven't seen each other for years so I decided it was time to make the trip. He met me at the station and there was lots of hugging and catching up. We found a lovely Italian restaurant and I had an amazing fish skewer thing which had swordfish, scallops, prawns and cherry tomatoes on them.

image

Unfortunately, I only remembered to take a photo once I'd already tucked in.

I finished up with a ristretto, because my 'coffee habit' is going ok now.

We were a bus ride from my friend's flat so we popped into a bar first and each got a cocktail, as they don't taste too alcoholly (I don't like the sharp taste of most alcohol, hence being a non drinker). We then went to a 'cool' cafe where lots of cool kids were jiving to the Super Mario theme tune.....

On our way to the taxi rank, we passed a bar we'd come to last time I was up and decided to go in. As we entered, our feet stuck to the alcohol-covered sticky grotty floor. Immediately, I knew it was that type of place. You know. That type of place.

We ordered drinks and lingered by the bar and watched the dancers. And it was brilliant. One woman, with badly dyed frizzy blonde hair, was giving it everything, hindered only by the fact that she was in her late forties and extremely out of place.

My friend and I, with our two cocktails on our systems to prevent the usual awkwardness on the dance floor, were ready to join in slightly. We bobbed rhythmically at the side, laughed and joked, reminisced about times abroad, sang along, pointed to the overly drunk people, dancing so vigorously that they almost fell over.

After a while, my friend stopped dancing, looked at me and said, "Laura, I can't do this anymore." And we left.

Even though we had had something to drink and danced a little, we didn't actually want to go tearing up the dancefloor. I'd previously thought that it was the lack of alcohol blocking me from getting into the spirit of things. But I don't actually think that anymore. I think it's because it's just not what I do. It's not part of my social activities to get drunk and dance like a maniac anymore. And that's ok.

I think I'll stick to dancing in the front room to the music channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment