Sunday 20 January 2013

Omygoodness, you HAVE to see this

Readers, prepare yourselves. Prepare yourselves for a post filled with horror and awfulness. For we are going to take journey into the world of....

1970S COOKBOOKS!

I came across this in a box of old cookbooks a friend was giving away and boy, was I glad I picked this one up! It is called Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook. And let me tell you this, it is all colour. It is proud and gregarious in it's all-colour horror. It would have done better to leave the photographs off, for I shall show you the pictures of what the 1970s considered haute cuisine. Are you ready?!

image



Mmm, I just love a mysterious lumpy white mass for my dinner.

image



Wowzers. More lumpy white nonsense, this time surrounded by green leafy stuff. Can we have that for dinner today, Mum? Can we?!

image



Ah, some white nonsense on top of salmon steaks, again the obligatory green leafy nonsense. This is actually a jellified mayonnaise layer, in case you were wondering.

image



And again, jellified mayonnaise, this time on top of chicken. LOVING the decorative anchovies... Kind of.

image



Talking of things being jellied, check out this turkey-slices-set-in-jelly type of thing.

image



Next up, a small roasted chicken, sitting on a bed of jelly stuff squares. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH US? Why, Britain, why did we do this to ourselves? Mary Berry has a lot to answer for.

image



More chicken related nonsense. A cake type thing, made of chicken. Vomit. And the asparagus on the top. That's quite fresh and lovely, you think, at least that bit's ok. Well, no, no it isn't. Because it is FROM A CAN! In fact, I am instructed to use many things from cans.

image



This 'peach tart' requires 1 can of creamed rice for the filling. Ridiculous. On another recipe I am actually told to get frozen chips! Honestly now, frozen chips. If I have frozen chips at home and I choose to eat them, that is different. But to actually include it as an ingredient for a meal in a cookbook?! Has the world gone crazy?! I think probably the worst sentence I have ever seen written down in a book anywhere is the line, 'Fry the frozen chips in the lard.' What. On. Earth.

Fry.

The frozen chips.

In the lard.

Honestly. I'm not making it up. Look.

image



This book has a continental section though. We're aware of the fine cuisine offered in other countries. Let's get fancy in our kitchens. Ok, check out the next recipe. I'm sure it will be delicious. Mmm, continental food. Italian pasta... French fancies... There's bound to be something good here.

image



Frankfurter salad. I have no words.

image



This one's good. It's cheesy buttered noodles. The ingredients? Cheese, butter and noodles. Brilliant.

Last up, some lovely desserts. Don't let me down here. The British have contributed some well-loved cakes to the world of food. Come on. What will it be? A Christmas pudding? An eccles cake? An apple crumble? A rhubarb crumble? Something cakey and warm. A hearty cake to heat one up on a cold winter's evening.

image



That's right. We've gone with a dish of pasta shells in chocolate sauce with lines of cream for 'decoration.'

And now, the award for the most attractive sounding dish in the history of the world ever, goes to....

image



Woop woop! Can I get a round of applause for the LARDY CAKE! Mm mm. Don't you think? Yes, a peice of lardy cake for me please! Am I allowed seconds? Oo, hold me back, hold me back! I can't get enough of good lardy cake, me.

Well, after that romp through the annals of British food history, I feel thoroughly disheartened and can only apologise in earnest to the world for our below-par cuisine ramblings. We have failed ourselves as a nation.

I understand if you would like to un-follow me, fellow bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment