Saturday 29 September 2012

Eating artwork for lunch

Yesterday, for Danda's birthday, we had fancy lunch next to the Thames river, in a place called The Bingham. I was quite excited when I booked it as it's one of those super swanky places that you never think you'll eat in. I had done a bit of research though and found out that their lunch menu was very reasonably priced. So we had a lunchtime booking and I was very much looking forward to it.

They have a Michelin star, by the way, did I mention that. O yes, they have a Michelin star.

I started the whole thing off in a rush because I decided to bake thank you gifts for my neighbours who helped me break in the other day when I locked myself out, remember? There I was, baking away, then suddenly it was half eleven and the booking was at twelve and I was still in my jarmies!

I practically threw the baked goodies at my neighbours as I hurtled by, yelling "Can't stop! Sorry!" Then we ran for our lives and arrived, red faced and sweaty, a few minutes late. Not the grand entrance I was hoping for!

This place is lovely. It's quite grand and, to start with, there were no other diners.

image



About four or five waiters and hosts and what have you, hovered about, checking if we were fine and if we needed anything.

We were given some lovely fresh-from-the-oven bread to start...

image



...and then an amousse bouche. No, erm, amooze boosh... No... Amuse bushe.... Ok! I'll admit. My non-fanciness was giving me away! I had heard of this but I've never known what it was. I'll never become the Masterchef Champion of the World at this rate. I did some research. It's a goat's cheese mousse, with tomato mousse and cheese and onion sprinkles on top.

image



I know what you're thinking. And I was thinking it too. Cheese and onion sprinkles! What on earth!? But it's ok. Just roll with it. They have a Michelin star.

Next were the starters.

image



Chicken soup with Jerusalem artichokes (and other stuff which I don't remember) and a small beautiful ham and cheese toastie. If I were ill or just miserable and grumpy, I can't imagine anything better than this beautiful beautiful little soup dish.

The other starter was a pig's head and rabbit terrine with a pear and chicory salad. I was initially a bit scared of the "pig's head" part but decided to face the fear and do it anyway. There was some kind of mustardy dressing thing on this which was gorgeous. And the terrine was really meaty, no snouts or eyes as I feared.

image



The mains were great, just the right amount for lunch and unbelievably tasty. They were a partridge dish with blackened figs and a crostini with game pate on it. And some greens, I forget which. I was too busy eating the amazing figs and trying to contain my excitement.

image



The other main was a butternut squash risotto. That sounds quite ordinary, doesn't it? This was NOT ordinary. It had a parmesan mousse and some teeny baby shitake mushrooms and some clear squares of jelly which were beautifully sweet but I couldn't remember what they were! Anyway, the whole thing was amazing.

image



Lastly, we had dessert and it was no less fabulous. Danda loves cherry and chocolate together so he got a chocolate ganache thing with cherries and a sweet lemon sorbet.

image



I had a giant marshmallow thing with strawberry sorbet hidden in the middle. It sat in a bed of summer berries and raspberry juice. It was phenomenal.

image



Lastly, just when we'd ordered espressos and thought we were done, they brought this beautiful board of sweeties.

image



What you can see is a vanilla macaroon, an orange and ginger jelly, a passionfruit marshmallow and a Baileys chocolate truffle. I scoffed most of it without an inch of decorum and I don't care who knows it.

Overall, this might be one of the best lunches I've ever had! Really great service, amazing food and a beautiful view of the river. What more could one expect from lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment