Thursday 6 September 2012

GIVE ME THAT TRUFFLE!

On Tuesday, my manager and I spent the morning at the Speciality Fine Food Fair. It was fabulous. There were tons and tons and tons of stands where producers has little tasters of their product and you could chat to them about the possibility of stocking their product in your shop.

image



It was in Kensington Olympia, which is massive. It took us about four hours to walk all the way around it and see every stand. There were these fabulous chocolate sculptures at one end...

image



image



... And beautifully crafted Italian pasta at the other...

image



...and Brie in the shape of the Eiffel Tower...

image



We went up and down the rows, up and down, up and down, nibbling on anything which was held out to us. The order that we nibbled was something like this:

Pannetone
Pasta
Chocolate
Truffle honey
Crackers
Ice cream

image



More ice cream
Salmon
Cheese biscuit
Parma ham
Bread dipped into truffle oil
Chocolate
Biltong
Granola
Brie
Chocolate
Cracker with chutney
Walnut and apricot bread
Strawberry yoghurt sweets
Freshly made pumpkin ravioli

image



Italian pastry with ricotta cream
Ice cream
Parma ham
Black truffle butter
White truffle butter
White truffle butter
Black truffle butter
White truffle butter.....

After this point, my memory becomes blurry because this truffle butter was A. MAY. ZING.

image



Let me explain my position on truffles, prior to this day: "Truffles are ok but if anything, they're not that tasty. They don't taste of much." I had had truffles a few times in restaurants, where they were just shaved onto things that didn't really do anything to showcase its fantasticness. "What's all the fuss about?" was my general opinion of truffles.

And then I went to the Fine Food Fair. And everything changed. There were SO many truffle stands so I tasted eveything that it is possible to do with a truffle. And I have to say, I am definitely on the Truffle Bandwagon. This truffle butter.... I can't even explain. It was phenomenal. I was spreading it onto the plainest cracker in the world. A Jacobs water cracker thing. Boring. But with this black truffle butter spread on it, it was the food of the gods! I bet that Jacobs cracker couldn't believe its luck when it got to sit on the truffle stand.

image



After a point (when I'd been munching crackers and truffle butter for a tad too long and the people on the stand were looking over at me warily), we had to walk away.... And suddenly I knew that if I had any children and the truffle butter producers asked for one in exchange for a stick of the truffle butter, I would make the swap without a second's thought.

"Push that child in front of the bus," say the truffle men.
"Yes, truffle men," I say, salivating at the truffle butter in their hands. I push the child in front of the bus and hold my hands out for my prize.

"Give us your house," the truffle men say. "Go and live under a bridge somewhere."
"Yes, truffle men," I say, handing over the keys and taking the stick of butter. That night, I am found in the exact same spot, hugging my truffle butter while it slowly melts and smiling to myself as I lick my fingers.

"We want all your money," the truffle men say.
"Yes, truffle men," and I hand over my bank cards and pin numbers.

I've thought about going online to look up the company and do a bulk order of truffle butter, to see me through the next few months but I'm worried about opening that Pandora's Box. I already have quite an obsessive nature. It could get silly. I'd be putting it with everything. Cereal, cups of tea, ice cream, fruit. I daydream about eating crackers full of it but am worried about the reality.

What should I do? I'm having a truffle dilemma here! I so want the truffles, but it could be a dangerous road to start down....

No comments:

Post a Comment